Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Walmart Question

I recently had an issue with Walmart refusing to accept my coupon on a travel sized item. The coupon had no size restriction, so I decided to email customer service and ask what their policy was on accepting coupons on travel sized items.

Here is what I sent:
I would like to know if coupons can be used on travel sized items, if there is no size restriction on the coupon.I have been able to use my coupons in the past on the travel size items.

Today with I went to the store, I was told I could not use coupons on travel size items, even if they did not have a size restriction. The CSM looked at the coupon and said I could not because the picture was of the full size item. The items I was purchasing were priced at $0.97 and the coupons I had were for $1.00 off. I had a total of 6 items, so even if I was given the overage to apply to the rest of my order, it would have only been $0.36.

I do not want to misuse my coupons, but I was under the impression I could use the coupons in this way unless there was a specific size requirement. Please advise me on this situation.

Here is the reply I received:
Thank you for your message.
Dear Amy,
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the acceptance of coupons at Walmart. Our guidelines generally allow for the following types of coupons to be accepted:
- manufacturer coupons (Cents Off)
- free merchandise (or manufacturer's Buy-One-Get-One-Free) coupons
- store coupons
- internet coupons
- soft drink container caps
A salaried manager may refuse to accept a coupon if it does not meet certain criteria.
Coupon guidelines and limits include but are not limited to the following:
Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise we sell and only when presented at the time of purchase. Coupons should have an expiration date and be presented within the valid dates. Walmart will not accept expired coupons or double/triple coupons. Internet coupons should be legible and say "Manufacturer Coupon_ and there should be a valid remit address for the manufacturer and scannable bar code. Store Coupons must reflect a specific sale price or original price and must be available to all customers. For 'Free' merchandise coupons, customers will not receive cash back -- the cashier will adjust the value of the coupon to the actual retail of the item at the time of sale. In addition, only one coupon per item is permitted and use of 40 or more coupons per transaction will require approval by a Customer Service Manager.
Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care
So, I guess they are telling me a salaried manager can refuse any coupon. I don't feel like they really answered my question.

I am not sure why I continue to go to Walmart. I go there a lot less now than I used to, but with all the trouble they have given me with coupons, I think I can do without Walmart. I can do most of my shopping at Kroger, CVS, & Walgreens. If I can't get it there, Target is only an hour away and I can always check at Kmart.

No comments: